The 2012-2013 season gets started for Arizona basketball on November 11 in Tucson against Charleston Southern. The Wildcats look like they've improved upon last season's team. They'll retain a group that played 47% of their total minutes last season and also add the output of four Top 100 recruits, including #7 Kaleb Tarczewski, and one other incoming freshman.
The Arizona offense will suffer from a 56.5% drop in three-point shooting, the largest gap that the team will need to fill. After that, they'll hurt almost as much in scoring, where they drop another big 54.4%.
The Wildcats start out with a #12 ranking in the preseason AP Top 25 poll. They weren't ranked in last year's final regular season poll. Arizona finished last season with a record of 21-10 overall, placing 4th in the Pac 12 with their 12-6 conference record. In the postseason, the Wildcats were runners-up in the Pac 12 tournament, losing to Colorado 53-51 in the finals. They made it to the National Invitational Tournament (NIT) as a #1 seed and were eventually sent home with a loss to Bucknell, 65-54. Arizona will feel the loss of last year's seniors Kyle Fogg (32 minutes per game), Jesse Perry (30 MPG), Brendon Lavender (16 MPG), Alex Jacobson (3 MPG), and Dondre Wise (1 MPG). The Wildcats will also have to get by without Josiah Turner (24 MPG), Kyryl Natyazhko (7 MPG), Robert Arvizu (3 MPG), and Sidiki Johnson (transferred to Providence).
The Wildcats welcome back senior Solomon Hill (12.9 points/game), sophomore Nick Johnson (8.9 points/game), junior Jordin Mayes (4.7 points/game), senior Kevin Parrom (4.9 points/game), and sophomore Angelo Chol (2.8 points/game).
Arizona signed four Top 100 Recruits this season. Kaleb Tarczewski is a 7-0 center from Southborough, MA and is the #7 ranked recruit in the country. Grant Jerrett is a 6-8 center from LaVerne, CA and ranked #11. Brandon Ashley is a 6-8 forward from Oakland, CA and ranked #15. Gabe York is a 6-2 guard from Orange, CA and ranked #47.
One other freshman joins the Wildcats, 5-11 Jacob Hazzard. The team also picks up 6-1 senior Mark Lyons (transferred from Xavier), 6-1 junior T.J. McConnell (transferred from Duquesne), and 6-10 junior Matt Korcheck.
The Wildcats go up against three AP preseason Top 25 opponents, #10 Florida on December 15th, #13 UCLA on January 24th, and at #13 UCLA on March 2nd. Arizona will start Pac 12 play on January 3rd against Colorado.
Tags: Kyle Fogg
- Arizona has had 2 consecutive 20+ win seasons.
- Since 2002, Arizona has an overall winning percentage of 67.5%.
- The Wildcats have an average conference finish of 4.2 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 16 the team has an average finish of 2.9.
- Over the last 10 seasons, Arizona has signed 3 Top 10 players out of high school (with Kaleb Tarczewski being the most recent).
- In a 10 year period, Arizona has signed 13 Top 100 high school players. Over 10 seasons, the Wildcats have signed 22 Top 100 players.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 141.8.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is Florida (#18).
- This year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is Northern Arizona (#334).
- The Wildcats have been in the Preseason AP Poll 26 times since 1948.
, Jesse Perry
, Brendon Lavender
, Alex Jacobson
, Dondre Wise
, Josiah Turner
, Kyryl Natyazhko
, Robert Arvizu
, Sidiki Johnson
, Solomon Hill
, Nick Johnson
, Jordin Mayes
, Kevin Parrom
, Angelo Chol
, Jacob Hazzard
, Mark Lyons
, T.J. McConnell
, Matt Korcheck